HSS 228

HSS 228: The Internet & Global Society and Culture
This blog was created to expand the knowledge of the Internet to real practice and develop skills with the creation of a blog. Through the duration of this blog, I will provide insight to my design process as I seek to create inspired costumes for the production of Ah, Wilderness! for my costume design class.

Mp3 Player Widget

Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Informal Production Plan

This is an informal plan for my fictional production of Ah, Wilderness! I can have whoever I want to direct, design, and act in my production. This is just a proposed production.

Cast:

Hugh Laurie as Sid Davis



Saoirse Ronan as Mildred Miller



Cameron Monaghan as Richard Miller



Meghan Martin as Muriel McComber



Director and Other Designers:

I want my friend Colleen Toole from NYU to direct my show, UNCG Theatre Department's scene designer Randy McMullen to design the set, and the Theatre Department's lighting designer to design the lighting.



I want to stick to historical period of Victorian America. I want the women in the structured s-curve silhouette and tailored suits for the older men. However, for the younger women, I want to loosen the silhouette to make it more free-flowing.

Characters will not be eliminated or added because I want the production to be relatively faithful and exact to the script as Eugene O'Neill envisioned it. If more actors are needed for roles beyond the principal characters, actors will be cast so there won't be doubling up of roles.

Actors won't necessarily be called upon to engage in unusual physical activity beyond some brief dancing. The costumes will need to be able to be moved in easily and comfortably.

According to the script, Mildred's first costume is a "shirt and shirtwaist in the fashion of the period." Arthur is dressed in the collegiate fashion of turn-of-the-century. Lily wears a shirt and shirtwaist, as does Essie MIller. Lily has glasses. Sid's suit is faded and nondescript. Richard wears the prep-school version of Arthur's college suit.

There aren't any props I specifically want to use beyond Lily's glasses and a fan for Belle.

The set designer is working with neutral darks like brown and rust, so the younger women's light colored garments will stand out. The older women are such a part of the house that their costumes will almost blend into and become one with the set.

Furniture will need to be wide enough to accommodate the women's skirts. The stage is flat and the set is reminiscent of a Victorian Era living room, so the costumes need to be functional for walking around and living in a Victorian house.

No comments:

Post a Comment